Serbian citizens, animal lovers, responsible owners. We are witnessing animal cruelty, torture,…
On December 20th, 2018, ORCA and a Serbian newspaper Srpski Telegraf sent…
The state and the citizens together against the breeding of animals for…
On December 20th, 2018, ORCA and a Serbian newspaper Srpski Telegraf sent an official letter to the Ministry of Justice detailing two initiatives related to the improvement of the legislation pertaining to animals within the Criminal Code of Serbia. The issues are:
1. Proposal for amendments to the Criminal Code in the field of animal welfare, which relates to the following:
● Increase prescribed penalties from one to three years imprisonment for the abuse and killing of animals;
● Extend the formulation related to animal fighting so to include not only animal fights organised for the purpose of financial gain;Define animal abandonment as a criminal offense;
● Provide the possibility to impose punishment for attempting to commit the crime of killing and abusing animals;
Prescribe two more safety measures: the confiscation of the animal and the prohibition of keeping the animal in case of committing the crime of abusing and killing animals.
2. Proposal for the establishment of a Coordination Team for the enforcement of animal welfare legislation
The task of this authority would be to effectively enforce animal welfare legislation through the information exchange and coordinated action by the competent state authorities. The Coordination Team would assemble representatives of the public prosecutor’s office, the police, the veterinary inspection and other competent authorities.
“Unfortunately, we are witnessing a large number of cases of animal abuse and animal killing. Although it is a criminal offence prosecuted ex-officio, the authorities still conduct their work with insufficient coordination. The consequence of this issue is that some cases are difficult to prove and many of them will not be prosecuted“, said Elvir Burazerovic, director of ORCA for Srpski Telegraf newspaper.
This initiative has been supported by a large number of celebrities, please read more on Srpski telegraf website.
Minister Nela Kuburović reveals that this year, the focus of the Ministry of Justice, will be to amend the Criminal Code in relation to the penalty limits for offences for abusing and killing animals.
Please read more on the Srpski telegraf website.
Read also the history of the initiatives to amend the Criminal Code.